1. Health
Dawn Stacey M.Ed, LMHC

IUD Removal Fears - Put to Rest

By September 15, 2008

Are you having IUD removal apprehension? Paula F. emailed wanting to know:

的 am coming up to the end of my 5th year on the Mirena IUD. I know that I need to schedule my appointment to have it removed, I知 scared to do it! Though not terrible, the insertion was a little uncomfortable. I heard taking it out REALLY hurts! Is this true? Also, can I have another one inserted in the same visit? I just love this birth control method.

Actually, an IUD removal is often easier, less painful, and quicker than the insertion of one. Plus, if you'd like, you can easily have a new Mirena IUD or ParaGard IUD inserted immediately after your old IUD is removed ( in the same doctor痴 visit).

IUD Photo ゥ 2008 Dawn Stacey

Comments
September 20, 2008 at 11:05 pm
(1) Julie says:

This sounds like I could have written this. I am ready to have my first one removed and second one inserted. I have been reading a lot about it online and wonder if this is the right decision. Some things that are happening to me right now that might or might not be related to the IUD: discoloration on my face (chin line) almost like sun damage, but stranger, dark brown spotting, almost every other month having a sharp pain like I have burst a cyst, more severe mood swings than previously in the past 5 years since having the first inserted, headaches. What do you think? Should I get another one inserted or no? Will those “symptoms” go away or will I just be trading them for something else?

September 25, 2008 at 5:28 pm
(2) Chelsea says:

Julie, I too have been having some of those same symptoms. I have been having frequent severe headaches, sometimes every day, that don’t go away with meds. I have been having a dull aching pain in my ovarian region, similar to the pain I had in the months prior to having a cyst rupture. I also read that it can affect future fertility, and since we want another baby in 8 months, I’m not taking chances. I’m having mine removed and am never getting another one.

October 27, 2008 at 1:14 pm
(3) Anai says:

I just had my IUD removed 4 days ago after having it in for 4 years. Everything you read may be true but, I believe it depends on each individual and how they cope with the side effects. Is there a birth control that doesn’t have a side effect?? I don’t believe so. Yes, there is lots of bothersome and annoying feelings we go through and sometimes they make us afraid and worry. My advice, “go with the flow” try to overcome those feeling unless, they are severe. Eventually, you get into the habit of knowing your body and what is normal and not normal… this may take several months. Hang in there! I did it for 4 years and now we are ready for our 3rd and final child (hopefully all goes well)… because “I heard” it may not be easy to concieve after the IUD…. by the way… the removal of the IUD was a breeze. A PAP Smear is more uncomfortable.

March 20, 2009 at 7:43 pm
(4) amy says:

I just had mine removed today! I had if for 4.5 years. I have had periods that last 12 days, cramping and pain with ovulation, painful intercourse. We thought I had endometrioses or cevical cancer. I did have sage 1 pre cancerous cells, but it is treatable. Having this removed was a breeze!! I am not getting another. I loved the idea of setting and forgetting in fact i wanted a copper, but i experienced to many side effects. I am laying off the birth control for 3 months then revisiting tubal litigation.

May 28, 2009 at 6:41 pm
(5) yesmama says:

I had my IUD removed 5/27 -I was terrified at first after inserting it 4 years ago, the procedure went terrific, it only took at least 5 minutes, there was no pain and still no bleeding – Ill be starting my conceiving at this point- after this pregnancy I plan to get another 5 year copper IUD- i had no issues with it the whole time

August 6, 2009 at 6:15 pm
(6) jamie says:

i had my mirena iud removed mon aug 3rd 2009 and am having a very heavy menstrual cycles starting yesterday weds aug 5th. i shouldnt have my period until 12th, is this normal?? im a little concerned the doctor hurt me as my removal was VERY painful and she told me the removal would not effect my cycle. How soon can i try to get pregnant?

October 11, 2009 at 5:29 pm
(7) Laura says:

I had my first IUD removed about 4 years ago. I conceived my 4th son about a month and 1/2 later. After he was born, I went on the pill & conceived my 5th son about 3 months in. Needless to say after he was born, I had another IUD put in again!!! I can handle the side effects compared to getting a surprise pregnancy again!!! It really doesn’t hurt to have it taken out – just a little pinch is all. Having it inserted was uncomfortable, but having it removed was nothing at all!! One of these days I should have mine out & have another shot at a GIRL!!!!

October 15, 2009 at 3:35 am
(8) Melody says:

I had my Mirena removed 2 days ago after having it for 5 years. I’ve been really worried about the impending pain of removal, since the insertion process was really painful for me. For anyone anxious about having the Mirena removed, I have to say that my experience wasn’t painful at all. In fact, it felt like a slight uncomfortable tug and it was out before I knew it. The pap smear that I had right before the IUD removal was more uncomfortable for me in comparison. I have to say that this will be my first and last time trying out an IUD. For years, I had weird cramping in my lower abdomen, slight spotting to no menstruation at all, mood swings, fatigue, and an unusual bloody odor with no signs of blood with the Mirena. Ever since I’ve had it removed, I feel a lot better and all of those symptoms have disappeared. Also, be sure to wear either a pantyliner or a maxi-pad because you will bleed after removal.. at least I did. It will save you the embarrassment :)

I think I’m going to lay off birth control for awhile, but if I had to get another form.. I would get the new implant that goes in your arm since I used the Norplant system (and loved it).

November 6, 2009 at 12:32 pm
(9) joy says:

what is the side effect for the IUD removal? can you please tell me about the
side effect after the IUD removal?

Thank You!

Regards

November 30, 2009 at 2:04 pm
(10) aNI says:

There is no side effect after the removal. I had mine for over 5 years, and it was a relieve when i took it out. The period used to last 5 to 8 days; heavy since day 1; a lot of cramps, and because of the heavy bleeding I ended up with anemia. It does not hurt to get it remove, it’s done in less then 2 mins.

April 27, 2010 at 7:29 pm
(11) Tami says:

I just recently had my Paragard removed after 14-1/2 years!!! I was so frightened of the thought of it being removed after I’ve had it for so long that I kept putting off making the appt. I read all of the different comments on line and some were very discouraging, causing me to have more fear! I am letting everyone know that I finally had my IUD removed and it DID NOT HURT AT ALL!! It was over in nearly seconds with no pain or discomfort. WHEW! I can’t believe I got myself all worked up over that. I feel so silly now. Today I just got another Paragard inserted and that wasn’t bad either. True, there is some minor cramping but I have had worse cramps than that during a normal period! It was over in no time and I am SOOOO relieved that I don’t have to worry about birth control for another 10 years! It is SOOOO worth it ladies, so if you have any fears or qualms, I am hoping I just put them to rest. I am the biggest baby when it comes to pain and if I can do it, so can you!!

May 10, 2010 at 9:45 am
(12) SSS says:

It seems most, if not all, of the side effects experienced in this forum were from the hormonal IUD. This is to be expected due to the hormones secreted and is similar to what some women experience with the pill.

For anyone considering and IUD or another, I would highly recommend the copper IUD. It last longer and the side effects should be less in most cases.

I have had the paraguard (copper IUD) for 7 yrs and love it. My only symptoms were bad cramps for the first three months and then no difference at all. I will probably have it removed in a year or so.

June 29, 2010 at 1:33 pm
(13) Priscilla says:

I had my iud removal 4 days ago. I was very nervous. The insertion did not hurt but cramping for 3 days. The removal, on the other hand, was uncomfortable and a little painful. I had intercouse the next with a condom. I called my doctor’s the next day and they said not to have intercourse for a week, to prevent infection. He had already given me antibiotics anyway. OOPS!

August 16, 2010 at 5:41 pm
(14) Jocelyn says:

I just had my Mirena removed today.I had scheduled this appointment three times already. Each time I went they couldn’t locate it. So today they did an ultrasound and found it. The string was cut way too short so they couldn’t pull the string they had to hook it on the IUD itself. I had a lot of discomfort and little pain and they still could not get it out. They called another doctor to come and help and he managed to get it but the pain was too much. I screamed and had him stop. He told me that he almost had it out and that he would give me a minute but he want to see where it was. Next thing I knew he had the IUD in his hand. Everyone that was in the room ws cheering. They told me if they had never located it then I would’ve went into the OR to get it removed. I choose not to get this every agian. I had so many problems with it and I don’t want to have to go through it agian.

October 23, 2010 at 3:14 pm
(15) Lissa says:

I recently as of 3 days ago got my iud removed because it was causing problems for me. The removal was not too bad. But now i have had a headache for 3 days straight an back an lower abdominal pain.

November 1, 2010 at 1:08 pm
(16) Mickey says:

I have had my IUD in for about 5 years but haven’t been able to see a doctor yet to have it removed. I have been very sick lately and am unsure if this is related but how long can you go without having it removed?

November 2, 2010 at 12:46 am
(17) megan says:

I had a Mirena IUD put in after I had my daughter I just got it removed a week ago and my daughter is only two. I had a lot of bacteria infections since it’s been placed so that’s why I got it removed. The doc prescribed a med called “cyrotex” it is supposed to make your cervix dialate you take two pills before bed the night before when you see your doc it feels like getting a pap. I felt nothing but make sure you get the meds before or you just might feel something. little cramps for about 24hrs and that’s all. Good luck.

November 6, 2010 at 12:05 pm
(18) rita says:

i had thr copper iud for 2 years . the only side efects were painful cramping around my time of the month . other than that everything was normal . when i got it removed i looked online and read some horror stories about how much it was going to hurt . but in actuality my dr did a pap at the same time and i didnt even notice when he removed it :) and their was no side efects except or a slight bleeding but that only lasted a couple o hours . i think the copper one is the way to go , i have heard bad things about the hormonal one and i liked the act that the copper one has been around longer . im not one to try new birth control , they seem to have way to many side efects.

February 16, 2012 at 8:51 pm
(19) Casandra says:

i have had mine for almost 4 years now. it doesnt hurt at all. i have no problems and no side effects… i dont even have a period.. its been gone since about 2 months after mirena was inserted.

March 16, 2012 at 8:13 pm
(20) cb0001 says:

I had the Paragard (copper iud) removed today after ten years. My strings rolled up into my cervix about 5 years ago so they had to do an ultrasound to make sure it was in place, dig in my cervix and use a special tool to pull it out. The digging was uncomfortable and there was a little pain when the iud was tugged out but the relief of having this thing out was so huge that it was worth it! I have experienced awful symptoms for the past few years that could very well be copper toxicity. If I had known this was a risk, I would have never gotten it. Sex has always been slightly painful, after the string rolled up into my cervix (this is very common) I wondered every month if it was in the right place and if I was pregnant so it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. Copper rises estrogen levels which is what I didn’t want in the first place!!! NO MORE IUD EVER!!!

March 23, 2012 at 2:16 pm
(21) brandy says:

I am having my Mirena IUD taken out next Weds. I have had it for a liitle over 5 years. I have LOVED everything about it. My period completely disappeared for the first 4 1/2 years, but in the last 6-8 months I’ve had some ocassional breakthrough bleeding, but nothing that a panty liner couldn’t handle. The hubs and I are going for baby number two. After trying for more than a year to concieve our first child, I had been on depo provera for four years, I hoping conception will be faster this time. I will DEFINITELY get another IUD after this child also. In my opinion, nothing beats the security of an IUD, and my body responds so well to it. No copper for me though…

July 11, 2012 at 4:00 pm
(22) Kiaya says:

I’ve had my marina IUD for just over two years and get incredibly sharp pains in my overies is this normal?? Also more then 50% of the time my boyfriend and I have to stop having sex because it hurts so bad…. Normal?
I really like the IUD because I dont have to remember to take a pill or think about it ever…. but if its going to be giving my pain still after two years is it really worth keeping??

September 11, 2012 at 2:56 pm
(23) Renee says:

I was like many of you, I thought I was going to have a mini panic attack as I sat there in the waiting room at my GYN. I had heard stories of the IUD becoming embedded in the uterus & being very painful to remove and that you have heavy bleeding after & was absolutely petrified! I went yesterday to have it removed so my husband & I could start trying for another baby. My doc assured me it would be easy & that they RARELY become embedded. The removal took what seemed like seconds, literally. It honestly felt like a tampon being removed, just from a little further in your body & slight, but not painful, pressure. My doc said I might have a little spotting for up to 24 hrs, but nothing major. I’ve had minimal spotting & no pain! I was very apprehensive to get the IUD initially (& thankful my doc gave me a local anesthetic during insertion), but I highly recommend them now. I had some initial pain after getting it & it took a year for my periods to really taper off, but I won’t ever go back to the pill after having the IUD. I will be getting another one after this pregnancy!

January 5, 2013 at 5:07 pm
(24) Stillinpain says:

Ok what happened was I had some pelvic pain and bad cramps, so I went in for an ultrasound, they said my IUD was in it’s correct place but I thought not. I said I know my body and I want the thing out. I had my period From the 20th to the 23rd of December and just got it again on the first with heavy bleeding. I said I wanted it out and it’s a great thing that I did, the IUD was embedded in my uterus and turned a bit. when they took it out it was so painful, the doctor said I’m lucky I did not have to ha
ve surgery :(
Also I had my first one in 2006-2011, then another 2011
to 2 days ago..I am mentally and emotionally relieved yet now I am experiencing headaches, could this be from the hormones in the mirena? Any one else experience ANY of this??:(

January 13, 2013 at 10:30 pm
(25) sunsh9 says:

after having the iud in for over three years, im glad i got it removed. though the removal was painful. The doc couldnt grab the strings, so he had to go fishing in my uterus. I was praying the whole time for Jesus to help the doc to find it. I will never ever get an iud again!

February 17, 2013 at 3:50 pm
(26) steph313 says:

I was really thinking about getting my iud removed im am considering having another child and im a bit concerned about pregnancy complications or even my child being disabled. but recently i have been having a very smelly discharge and im am almost all the time wet to the point where i always have a panty liner everyday and this is really becoming a problem fr me im making a doctors appt this week to take to me doctor about this idk if if anyone else has experienced any of these side effects if so please share…..

March 5, 2013 at 6:04 pm
(27) Jane says:

I had Marina removed about 6 weeks ago after 4 years. Had heavy bleeding and blood clots for 3 weeks. Then nothing for a week and back bleeding like crazy. Finally got doctor to do something. They put me on progestion pills. I have mad low back pain and stomach cramps. Have to take iron pills since I lost too much blood. Back to the doc in two days. It has been nightmare. My hormones are so massed up now.