1. Health
Dawn Stacey M.Ed, LMHC

Want to Skip Your Period?

By October 31, 2010

Did you know that you can subscribe to my weekly Contraception Newsletter? It's free and is delivered straight to your email. I received the following question from one of my newsletter's subscribers. This question has to do with birth control pills and is probably one of the most common questions that my readers ask me.

Leigh wanted to know the following,
"Help! My fiancé has planned a super-romantic get-a-way for the two of us over Christmas...the only problem, according to my calculations, I should be having my period during that time. I am currently on the pill. I've heard that women can skip their periods using the pill, is this safe? If so, how do you do it?"

Good news Leigh - women can definitely skip their periods while using combination birth control pills, basically by beginning your next pack of pills during the start of your placebo week. Also, you will be happy to know that doing this is perfectly safe!

Also of Interest:

Share Your Thoughts: Would You Feel Comfortable Skipping Your Period?

Birth Control Pills Photo © 2010 Dawn Stacey

Comments
October 31, 2010 at 10:13 am
(1) happy-grl says:

Yur question is the same as mine. Its just that I have a long term boyfriend, 1 yr and we want to go somewhere. Just as you, I am supposed to have my period then! Thank god for modern science!

October 31, 2010 at 1:17 pm
(2) Rachel says:

I have the same problem so that is good to hear. One other question though, my boyfriend doesn’t normally wear condoms… should he for this weeknd since I’ll be skipping that week’s pills?

October 31, 2010 at 9:11 pm
(3) Dawn Stacey says:

To Rachel-
No, your boyfriend does not need to wear condoms for that week. As long as you continue straight through with the next pack, you will be covered (meaning, the pill will be effective!).
Dawn Stacey – Contraception Guide

November 1, 2010 at 2:48 am
(4) Jenah says:

What if your on seasonale? I was put on seasonale bcause I was a frequent period skipper, but as it turns out in june Im going on a cruise on that 91st day. Can I start the next pack, and skip the period?

January 18, 2011 at 11:08 pm
(5) Nia Jax says:

I’m not on the pill and I want to skip my period in March, my cycle is supposed to start on feb 3rd and again on march 3rd. the March 3rd cycle is the one i want to miss. I am going away and I don’t want to be on!! how does this work. when could i start the pill to skip the march cycle?? help. thanks.

February 10, 2011 at 4:13 am
(6) Naomi says:

I took my last pill on Monday, and it is now thursday and I’ve researched that skipping a period is perfectly safe.
Valentines day is next Monday, and it’s also an anniversary for my long term relationship. I was wondering if it’s too late to start my next pack, as I would have meant to take it tuesday if I had known earlier. It’s now thursday,
will they work for next monday? Or is there risk of pregnancy?

Thanks.

July 1, 2011 at 8:11 am
(7) farha says:

my marraiage is in oct 9 and my date is on 9 only i wanna use pills to skip periods how many days i have to use and which pill i have to take will it reallly does work… please help me

July 11, 2011 at 6:22 pm
(8) Jordan says:

Its easy to skip. I do it all the time. What you do is … if your on a 28 day pack,skip your sugar pills and start a new pack. It is that simple!

October 1, 2011 at 11:42 pm
(9) Devinn says:

Thank you Jordan, finally a straight forward simple answer to my question instead of a long irrelevant paper! Thanks

July 12, 2012 at 12:43 am
(10) Sam says:

I tried skipping my period by starting the next months pack early and skipping the placebo pills. It did not work! Instead I have had by period for 8 days now :( I have read so much about how skipping your period is safe and not a big deal, but how come it didn’t work for me? Currently I am still taking my pills and having my period. Help! I don’t know what to do. Usually I am very regular, and my periods last only 5 days.

November 19, 2012 at 12:26 am
(11) maddy says:

Whats if i started the placebo pills like 2 of them… can you still skip your period if you start a new pack like the next day? or will your period continue until its affected by the pills?

December 11, 2012 at 8:42 am
(12) Annie says:

I want to skip mine too, but I’m on Oralcon, can I?

March 21, 2013 at 8:38 am
(13) Krista SQUIRES says:

Hi Dawn, I have a question.

I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen and then switched straight over to Loestrin the next month (skipping sugar pills) I’m about halfway through the month but want to stop taking them. I have been having some stomach issues which I am wondering is caused by the pill. The problem is I am going away in a week and a half and still will be seeing my boyfriend during only this next week that I will have withdrawal bleeding. Is it possible to get pregnant if you stop your pills after a straight month and a half of taking them (skipping sugar pills that whole time) in that 7 days?

I know this is complicated, but I appreciate your help!

March 29, 2013 at 4:23 am
(14) jodie says:

I finished my pill for a period on tuesday and didn’t take one wednesday, on the thursday i realised i wanted to take it straight through, so i started a new pack thursday, will this still work and stop me from having a period even though i missed wednesday but started a new pack thursday?

May 17, 2013 at 9:31 pm
(15) Becky says:

I am not om birth control pills but I am going to Cancun the 2nd week in July can I take bc pills to skip my period ? Do I need to start now or just take active pills at end of June and first of July?

June 11, 2013 at 4:31 am
(16) Fatma Mahic says:

I just started taking the pill (LEVLEN ED) for the first time today.
i got my period today and i’ve taken my first white pill in the red row.
BUT i want to skip my period for next month which im scheduled to have my period then :( how do i do this?? because ive already taken the first white pill for today.

June 20, 2013 at 10:02 am
(17) cyd says:

I started my period the week before my placebo pills but I want it to end now. I have 2 more regular pills then my placebo pills. Should i start a new pack now?? Or What should I do?

July 28, 2013 at 3:36 pm
(18) Unan. says:

This dies nit relate to same question. But I need some help. I have been taking Aviane bc pill for 4 months now. Well pills, 8, 9, & 10 I forgot to take. I had unprotected sex on day 6, 7, & 8. As well as day 3. Some of the days I had sex more then once. What are my chances of becoming pregnant? I started to slightly spot on day 10. I know Aviane is a low dose, so I am worried. If someone can help me. Greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

February 14, 2014 at 8:51 pm
(19) Taylor says:

If I miss 5 pills in the first week of birth control should I just skip those and take them the day I remember or not take them at all?