The Bottom Line
This is a comprehensive book which clearly explains how to practice the fertility awareness method (FAM) of birth control. Taking Charge of Your Fertility also serves as an excellent illustrated guide to FAM. This book empowers couples to use FAM and thoroughly explains this natural alternative to present methods of contraception.
- Invaluable resource for learning about a woman's body
- Thoroughly explains the Fertility Awareness Method
- Contains practical charts to find better success with Fertility Awareness Methods
- Contains a superior references section
- Easy to read and understand
- The book can be somewhat costly
- It does show bias towards Natural Family Planning Methods
- Taking Charge of Your Fertility:The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health
- Author: Toni Weschler, MPH
- Publisher: HarperCollins
- Publishing Date: October 31, 2006; 10th Anniversary Edition
- ISBN: 0060881909
- This book is available in hardcover and paperback.
- Book consists of five sections with 20 chapters and helpful appendixes, glossary, bibliography, index, and master charts.
- 512 pages
Guide Review - Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control
FAM is beneficial for couples who wish to avoid pregnancy naturally (without contraceptive devices or medications). Unfortunately, FAM is not a well-known birth control option and is often confused with the "rhythm" method, which is not an effective contraceptive alternative.
This book includes almost anything you may wish to know about natural contraceptive options. Chapter One is titled “Fertility Awareness: What you should know and why you probably don’t.” Additional topics range from prevention and health to planning and problem resolution.
This book addresses information that every woman should know -- whether you are looking for accurate information on a natural and reliable contraceptive alternative, trying to get pregnant, or just want to know more about what your body is telling you.
It is helpful to women who are looking for an alternative to hormonal contraception (maybe due to spiritual/moral beliefs or health conditions). The idea of switching to an FAM may seem like a daunting task, but this book gives peace of mind to women by teaching them how to successfully use natural family planning methods.
This book is a must for women who want to incorporate FAM to prevent pregnancy, understand and trust their bodies, and take control over their fertility.