A monthly period, for some women, can be experienced as a minor inconvenience, yet it can also be a major health concern for others. The use of birth control pills
gives women the choice to decide when and if they become pregnant while also letting them to control when and if they have a period. Research shows that if given the choice, most women would prefer extended menstrual cycles. Many women may have medical reasons for wanting to skip a period. The most common reasons that women give include headaches, cramping, painful periods, heavy bleeding, and PMS
Time Required: N/A
- Determine the month that you wish to skip your period.
- Continue to take all the pills in your pill pack during the month prior to wanting to skip your period.
- After finishing the three weeks of active pills, do not begin the week of placebo (or inactive) pills. Instead, start day 1 of your next pack on the day that you would have taken your first placebo pill.
- Continue taking all the pills in your new pill pack.
- When you reach the placebo week in your new pill pack, your monthly withdrawal bleed (i.e., period) should return.
- Keep in mind that some women may have spotting/breakthrough bleeding at the time when they would have had their period.
- Make sure you have enough pill packs (if you only want to skip one period, then you will need two packs of pills -- one for your current month and one for the upcoming month).
- Keep track of where you are in your pill pack as you must start the next pack during your fourth (placebo) week of your previous pack.
- If you only wish to skip one period, as soon as you begin your next pack, continue as you normally would. However, if you want to skip the next months period as well, just repeat steps 2 to 5.
- Some women are concerned about the safety of skipping periods. Research has consistently shown that this is common and completely safe to do. Plus, this practice does not compromise the effectiveness of your birth control pills.
- Some insurance companies will not allow you to pick up a prescription early. So make sure to find this out in advance if you are planning to skip your period and need to purchase that next pack of pills before the end of the month.
What You Need:
- At least 2 packs of birth control pills
- A calendar