We are lucky that we have choices when choosing a contraceptive method. What lead you to choose the Depo Shot?
**PLEASE DO NOT SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES OR SIDE EFFECTS WHILE USING THE DEPO SHOT. ONLY SUBMISSIONS SHARING WHY YOU CHOSE TO USE THE DEPO SHOT WILL BE PUBLISHED. THANKS!Share Your Reason
Don't have to think!
- I chose the Depo Shot because I only have to get it about 4 times a year - how easy is that? Just 4 visits to my doctor's office, and I am protected against getting pregnant without having to give it a second thought. Yay for Depo!
- —Guest Holly
- I had really bad cramps from cysts on my ovaries. I used Depo for a much needed break from the pain. I can't say that I missed not having a period, that was also a nice benefit, though I know it freaks some women out.
- —Guest Robin
Couldn't Use Estrogen - Very Pleased
- I began the Depo shot because I needed a birth control method that did not contain estrogen. I liked the idea of only having to get a shot every 3 months instead of taking pills or getting that implant in my arm. So far, so good! I have had no major side effects and am extremely pleased with my decision.
- —Guest Jenny
- I was on the depo shot when I was younger and had a horrible experience. But after my tubal failed, I had to use something and my doctor said it was my only option due to my high blood pressure. The first 5 months, this time, were constant bleeding - then it stopped, and I haven't had any other problems at all. I love it and plan to continue using it!
Depo Provera Shot - Why not?
- I was taking the Depo Provera injections for a year. At the time, I had been taking birth-control pills. The idea of using effective birth control only 4 times a year was very appealing to me. I found out that I am one of those people that were subject to Depo Provera's side effects! I stayed with Depo-Provera for a year, to give it a fair shot (no pun intended). I eventually switched to another birth control method after that, as the side effects never stopped for me while I was on Depo Provera.
- —Guest Macy
- I chose the Depo shot because I wanted a hormonal birth control method but can not tolerate estrogen. I have had two Depo shots so far and have been very pleased with my choice. Depo Provera is a great and EFFECTIVE option for us gals who can't use estrogen.
- —Guest Talia
Why I Chose Depo Provera
- I chose Depo Provera because it meant not having to take a pill every day and because it was almost immediately effective in addition to less frequent lighter periods (if you're lucky). I only took this contraceptive for 9 months, and I had several bouts of heavy spotting before finally deciding to stop using this drug.
- —Guest FeistyKitten
Depo Side Effects
- I've been on the shot for six months and its the worst mistake that I've made. I've gained weight since taking the shot. The only reason I decided to take Depo is because the doctor said it was the most effective. I didn't want to have another baby.
Don't choose depo!
- I chose the depo only because it was the only option available. I couldn't take the pills because my doctor said they would put me at an increased risk of blood clot and stroke. I gained weight, bled like crazy, had no sex drive (which sucked because I got my first shot 2 weeks before my wedding!), was nauseated, the whole deal. After 3 shots, I gave up with it. Just went off it and said if I got pregnant, great. We wanted a big family anyway. Too bad no one told me that the depo provera screws with your fertility permanently. I have been married almost 4 years and we still haven't been able to get pregnant. Three years of trying with no success. We go for our first IUI next month- if my period ever starts. I was regular before the depo. But now? DO NOT GO ON THE DEPO! If you ever want kids, run!
- —Guest Elizabeth
The right choice for me
- I got on the depo because I couldn't remember to take the pill everyday to save my life. I liked the idea of only having to remember about my birth control every 3 months with the depo, and I didn't like the idea of an IUD or a patch or anything else. I stopped doing the depo because I started having bad migraines and thought it was contributing to them. But after stopping the depo, my migraines continued, and then eventually stopped. So it wasn't the depo causing them. So after attempting the pill again I realized that the depo was actually the right form of contraception that I needed. I got back on it 9 months ago. It's very hassle free, I don't have to think about it everyday, I'm protected, and I don't get periods anymore.
- —Guest Olivia
Pill or patch didnt work
- I chose depo cause the pill and the patch didnt work very well for me. I love being on depo and wouldnt try another form of birth control.
- —Guest Jenn
- I took the depo shot because I kept forgetting to take my pill.
- —Guest Coleen
no sex drive and headaches
- After receiving depo for just over 2 years now i had no problems at first. My periods stopped completely and i didnt forget to get it like i would with the pill. Having only just read ALL of the side effects (some rare but i guess im just unlucky) i am now contemplating stopping. I have almost no sex drive (much to the annoyance of my very supportive boyfriend) have put on some weigh, which does not really bother me, but also i have been getting very bad headaches. I didnt connect the two before but reading up on it today to try to find a link between the injection and cystitis (not found yet) found all of the side effects i was not told about! also i get tender breasts and some mood swings. The main thing that bothered me was the loss of sex drive as a 20 year old i felt odd not wanting sex at all. Although these are rare side effects (according to one website) i thought i would share my opinion.
- —Guest Mel
I loved it before why not again
- I am gonna get depo because i didnt have periods when i used it when i was young, I dont have to remember to take pills every day, i trust it to work good, and i dont mind getting a shot plus i didnt gain weight before!
- —Guest erica
becausse I'm only 19 depo all the way
- I am 19 years okd and i chose depo because it was the best choice not tthat i don't like condoms witch i really don't care for them. i got the shot because i don't want to become prego til me and my man are ready for a child and are financhialy stable for this
- —Guest guest kat