Its been a long time on Depo!
- I have been on the depo shot for almost 10 years. Its been an easy way to stay prego free and I haven't had a real period since my first shot. I will say that the only complaint I have is the fact that it is hard to lose weight. I have had migraines all my life so I couldn't say that the depo is causing them. I too had serious bleeding issues during the first three months but after that it was gone. Serious trama is the only thing that causes bleeding now.(when I was 21 I had major oral surgery and I had a period for about a day) If you can get past the first 3 months of the shot, I would definately recommend this type of birth control. My son is turning 10 tomorrow (may 6th 2010) and he is the only one I have thanks to the Depo. I am seriously considering getting fixed, but I am afraid of what might happen when my hormones are no longer adjusted by a once every three month shot to the hip!
- —Guest Katie
I hate the depo shot
- I hate the Depo shot. I got it after I had my baby - it was my 1st shot and everything was going ok. I decided to try the Depo shot because I kept forgetting to take my pills. On March 29 2010, I got the Depo shot again - it is now May 4, 2010 and I'm still bleeding.
Just got the Depo Shot.
- A month ago, I got my first depo shot. I have continously mild spotting but no biggie. My concern are the headaches -- will they go away eventually, or will they persist as long as I keep getting the shot?
- —Guest amri
- I got on the Depo after having my second son, I didn't want to get pregnant again and the idea of no more periods sounded wonderful!! I've been on it for 2 years. Since starting the depo I started getting horrible migraines, had several odd skin problems, mood swings, and NO SEX DRIVE!! My husband calls it my "crazy shot". I didn't go back earlier this month for my shot, because the month before I started cramping sooo bad, my ovaries were killing me and I was bleeding pretty bad for atleast 2 weeks. Now that I'm off of it, I feel terrible. I'm really moody, tired, sick to my stomach. I'll never get on it again!! I just can't wait to get back to my pre depo self again.....
Really Bad Experience
- I took the Depo shot in December 2009 just after having my third child. I bled for 3 1/2 months straight. I opted out of the next shot obviously and am now on the mini pill since I am nursing. The bleeding went away after two weeks off of the Depo but has started again and it's now April 27th, 2010. I don't believe it is my period due to the fact it's just a little light and lasting too long to be my period. I have been unable to loose a pound of my baby weight since December and am eating healthier than ever and exercising more than ever. The doctor did not inform me of the possible bone loss nor the possible excess weight gain.........I feel as though I have been duped. I am depressed thinking about the fact that I will be fat this summer because this toxin will probably still be in my system. Please if you are taking this pill with success don't take it for too long because there's a great chance you will lose bone density or develop osteoporosis. Educate yourself!!
- —Guest CP
I dont have to remember taking a pill ev
- Im 19 years old and after I had my son in december a few months later in march I decided to give the depo shot a chance. Well after the 1st shot I didnt have a period for 5 weeks. it is now April and so far Ive had a light period for a week. Not bad at all. Depending on if this increases, decreases or stops by my next appointment will determine if I chooses to continue. Im hoping it works in my favor because its much simpler than anything else. If it does not the... hey everything is not for everybody.. Wish me luck!!!!
- —Guest Kiara
No menstruation period
- Since I have started taken Depo Provera, I have not had a period. Not having a monthly menstruation period can be a side effect with Depo Provera.
- —Guest Lydia Animashaun
Depo Provera - Its Cool (I'm Confident!)
- I got my 1st depo on Feb. 2, 2010. When I went 2 get the shot, I was on my period. After I got the shot, 1 day went by and my period went away. My cycle usually lasts for 5-6 days, so I was very happy about it going away. Things were awesome after that until I got my period again around Mar.9 and it ended the 24th! I was so sad during that time and my sexual drive had gone down too, but after that sad time, things went back to normal. I don't want to give up on depo so quickly just yet because unlike some, I did my research and I expected a weird 1st time on it - so my head is up and I'm confident.
- —Guest Savannah/Snoopy =)
- I got my first ( and last ) shot on Jan. 12 2010, and here it is April 10, 2010 and still bleeding. Needless to say my husband is NOT happy these days!! I will NEVER get this shot again!!
- —Guest SLM
2 different times,2 different results
- I took Depo the 1st time in July of 2003. I had a little irregular bleeding in the beginning but no other side effects. I was on it for 1 year and stopped to try to conceive baby #3 – which took about 15 months to get a period back to normal. I conceived #3 22 months after the last shot. The 2nd time was a bit different. I had the Depo shot on Jan 15th 2009 and had my last shot on Apr 16th 2009… I had a lot of irregular bleeding and was moody. I gained 7 pounds (not a big deal) as I lost 5 of them just 3 months after coming off the shot. It has been exactly 12 months since my last shot, and my periods are beginning to straighten out (yet I am still having some mood swings)… but then again, who doesn't? Overall, Depo seemed very different from the 1st time which was virtually side effect free for me… I wonder why?
- —Guest Jessica
Depo was Perfect for Me!
- I used the Depo shot before and after having both of my children. My periods stopped instantly. No side effects, no drastic weight gain. I did notice my hair came out easier, but I wasnt going bald, and I have very long hair. Off and on I had been on the Depo shot for 9 years. It was always a wonderful experience. I was injected in my back/hip (fatty area), and the majority of the time the injection was painless. On a scale from 1 - 10, it was probably a 3. Recently I have switched to Mirena to save money. The only downfall with Depo were perscription costs and co pays at the Doctor. Ive only had my Mirena 6 days now, it was one of the most painful things Ive went through, besides child birth. Im hoping I still am period free, otherwise I will switch back to the Depo. I have heard bad stories from my friends, so Depo is not for everyone. Give it a try, if It doesnt work for you, try something else.
- —Guest Melinda
Am i bleeding to death?!
- I decided to get on the depo shot cause i thought it would be great not to worry about a pill every day and no period, yay! Well this is the 2nd time i take it and the side effects have been aweful which i was not informed by the doctor. I have had constant cramping at night and now i started my period and has been going on for a month!! None stop and don't know when it will. Im also getting the symptoms of bloating, cramping and even my private part is sore from all the bleeding. What is the point of taking birth control if you cant have sex at all cause you are constantly bleeding?? Never again am i taking this drug of a shot that messes a women's system this bad. Everyone be warned cause nobody told me...if you want continous bleeding take it but i don't know many women who do.
- —Guest lili
- All of sudden my Dr. gave me depo without discussing with me its side effects,only telling its best contraceptive these days.But after having it within 10 days I had sex n stated spotting n then severe bleeding as if period has resumed. My hubby too got pain in his penis.And our marital life is now at verge of end. As I couldn,t satisfy my husband.Now I m in a fuzz tortured by own physical condition n fear to loss my lovely hubby who used to love me like anything before this shot
- —Guest guest scarry
- I got my first Depo shot when I was 15 because I wasn't consistant with pills. I didn't get my period for a month and a half,but now I've been bleeding every single day for about 2 hours a day for 3 weeks and am having stomach cramps. I HATE DEPO!No more for me.
- —Guest anniebaby
- I tried the shot for a couple of months since I heard that it was a myth that you gain weight on Depo Provera. I decided to try it, but I did gain about 10 pounds since beginning this method. It is nice not having my period. I guess if you get the Depo shot, make sure you exercise daily and eat right.
- —Guest Allyssa